Sep 27, 2014

Lord of the Flies Drawings

Forgetful of the Flies, Pen, Marker, Pastel on Paper, 24" x 36"
Daydreams Came Swarming Up, Pen, Pastel, Marker, Crayon on Paper, 24" x 36"
Since I read Lord of the Flies at age eleven, I have counted it among my favorite books. It was only recently that I recognized that a lot of my art is influenced by the ideas and themes in the book. Pigs, Islands, Boys, History, and Conflict are all things that I deal with in my drawings and are related to the book. I wanted to make some pieces discussing the parts of the book that most struck me when I first read it.

The top drawing is a depiction of Simon, moments before his death at the hand of the other boys. The bottom drawing is of Ralph, when he is boar hunting with Jack Merridew and the other hunters, and he gets wrapped up in their savagery.

No comments:

Post a Comment